Operation and the duration of a LED luminaire depends heavily on the driver that stabilizes the current and provides thermal protection
After the thermal management of the luminaires, perhaps the next item in importance in the functioning of the LEDs, are sources of supply or drivers. Lighting LED, unlike happens with fluorescent or incandescent lighting, luminaires do not connect directly to electrical power, if you do not through a driver that deals with transforming the voltage adapting it to the needs of the luminaire. The LEDs work with direct current (DC), therefore, if we want it to work on an installation of alternating current (AC) – that we have at home and in the majority of installations – require a driver (driver) that convert AC power into DC and which in turn decreases the voltage.
Basically the LED driver performs two tasks
- Transform current. Of AC to DC (CC)
- Adapt the output voltage to the needs of the LED. Due to its low consumption LED, work with very low voltages, so a voltage high not only wouldn’t work but it would burn them.\
The output current of an electrical installation far exceeds the mili amps you need a LED to emit light. The driver is responsible for lowering it without wasting energy, maintaining constant current and reducing heat generation. Not necessary a driver in installed in battery-operated flashlights-LEDs, the output current from a battery is very low compared to the mains.
Another fact to take into account is the sensitivity that LED to changes in current. The driver is vital to establish constant voltage, which makes maintaining stable luminous flux (intensity and color) and the temperature of the luminaire. The heat generated by the LED flashlight is a fact to keep in mind, since its proper management optimize the useful life of the LED flashlights defined by Topschoolsintheusa.com.
The driver relies heavily on the use of the electrical energy consumed by the LED lamp. A proper power supply affects the efficiency and stability of the luminaire. In addition, it will optimize LED life.
An LED controller aims to ensure zero loss of energy. The real use of the electrical energy consumed is measured by the value of the factor of power (PFC or Power Factor Correction). If the value is equal to 1 means that all the power going to power supply takes advantage, if the value is 0.5 only half of energy is used in the conversion.
Bet on a driver of quality manufacturers specialized Meanwell, expanding the lifespan of LED luminaires and done that we optimize 100% our investment, energy efficiency and other beneficial features.
Internal and external drivers. Advantages and disadvantages
Often the driver is installed in the own LED lamp and is not visible. Internal drivers, usually in small lamps or household fixtures. LED luminaire of high power or industrial, that they consist of multiple chips, drivers are often external and regulate the power of chips at the same time; in these cases tension is regulated depending on the number of LEDs that turn on.
Advantages of the internal driver
- Quick and easy installation
- Does not require removing the Miscellanea, only to cancel them or bypass them
- Solution all in one, without the need of external space
- Slightly lower price
External driver benefits
- Products of higher power and luminosity
- The installation needs a lower internal space
- If the driver reaches the end of its useful life or breaks down the replacement is very simple and immediate.
- Luminaires in size but small
- Longer life for all components
- More versatility in terms of maintenance
- Greater reliability.
Disadvantages of an internal driver
- Requires more space on the inside of the luminaire optical block.
- If there is excessive heat, will interrupt the operation to save the integrity of the bulb.
- Lower power and light fixtures.
- For the same power, a bulb of internal driver is larger than one external driver.
- When the driver reaches the end of its useful life, must replace the luminaire
Disadvantages of the external driver
- Requires free space in the compartment of auxiliary equipment to install the external driver
Purchase Drivers and LED power supplies
- Power supply 12V
- Power supply 24V
- External power supply 12V
- External power supply 24V
- Constant current Driver Led
- DALI control
The importance of choosing flicker-free LED drivers
The Right Choice of Current-Limiting Resistors for …
LED lighting fixture market on a steep growth, reports …
Sensio Furniture Lighting Solutions
Lucy Zodion shares it know-how about streetlighting
Surge Protection for LED Street Lights
IV Seminar on Energy Efficiency in Latin America and the …
AquaRay LED Lighting | Reef & Planted | AquaBeam
Taiwan LED Voltmeter + Dual USB Charger
Wicked Warnings Client Responds to Fatal Semi Crash …
Balcony Bar Ward Road Dundee re-furb & Grand Reopening …
How to overcome barriers to ecoinnovation in the lighting …
Why LED Strip Lights Always Need an LED Driver
Lighting Applications Fuel LED Driver Growth
Lighting Supply Blog on Everything Lighting
Lucy Zodion shares it know-how about streetlighting
Peugeot Fractal: 14 curiosities of the most spectacular in …
Daytime Running Light